Erasmus+ in Europe
Erasmus+ fosters the mobility of students as well as academic and non-academic staff in higher education institutions. Eligible for participation in the Erasmus+ program are the 27 EU member states as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, the former Yugoslav republic Macedonia, Serbia and Turkey.
Via Erasmus+, students can study abroad for up to 12 months per study level (Bachelor / Master / PhD).
Coursework/research from abroad will be acknowledged by the home institution if it corresponds to the previously confirmed Learning Agreement.
- Successful completion of first 2 semesters of Bachelor‘s program (60 ECTS). For visiting Master level courses abroad: successful completion of first 4 semesters of Bachelor’s program.
- An Erasmus Agreement must exist between home and host university.
- At least 3 ECTS/month of the stay abroad must be acknowledged at the home institution after the stay. For research stays: a confirmation of the supervisor supporting the stay abroad/confirming the research progress must be handed in before and after the stay.
- Purpose of stay: full-time study, writting parts of Bachelor/Master/PhD thesis
- Stay of at least 2 months - max. 12 months
Erasmus scholarship by country-group:
1) 390€ per month
Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Northern Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey
2) 440€ per month
Belgium, Cyprus, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain
3) 490€ per month
Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden
Find the current grant amounts here (Zuschusshoehen_2022, page 32 - document available only in German)
Separate subsidies are provided for low-emission travel (such as by train, bus or carpooling): Students receive an additional Top-Up €50 and up to four travel days can be added to the days of the stay.
*Please keep all receipts and tickets as proof.
*Airplane is not one of the climate-friendly means of transport and therefore participants do not receive a "green travel top-up".
Form to sign (submit via E-Mail: email@example.com)
- Students traveling with their child(ren)
- Students with disabilities, if this results in increased financial expenditure during the stay abroad (compared to the stay in Austria)
- Students with a chronic illness if this results in increased financial expenditure during the stay abroad (compared to the stay in Austria)
*All target groups mentioned above receive a top-up of €250 per month, if one of the above mentioned points applies, please email this information to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The top-up can only be paid out once, even if more than one of the above applies.
Mobility to the country of origin is generally allowed, but has the lowest priority in the selection process. Students who have their center of life in a (neighboring) foreign country and come to Austria only for study purposes (cross-border commuters) cannot be funded for an Erasmus+ stay in the respective country of residence. Proof of residence in Austria is required (Meldezettel).
For recipients of Austrian federal aid for students, an increased grant is possible in addition to the Erasmus+ mobility grant. This needs to be applied for directly at the Student Aid Body ("Stipendienstelle")