FAQ's about...

  • What are the preconditions for studying abroad for a semester/year?
    The successful completion of the first 2 semesters of the Bachelor program (60 ECTS). For taking Master-level courses abroad: the successful completion of the first 4 semesters of the Bachelor program (120 ECTS)
  • Will the courses I take abroad be recognized for my studies in Leoben?
    Yes. Courses that are taken abroad will be recognized by Montanuniversitaet, as long as they conform to the previously agreed upon Learning Agreement.
  • Is there a financial grant possible for my stay abroad and what are the preconditions for obtaining it?
    For Erasmus students, it is possible to get the Erasmus+ mobility grant. In case of recipients of Austrian federal aid for students, an increased grant is possible and can be applied for directly at the student aid body (this is possible in addition to the Erasmus mobility grant).

    Students who do not obtain federal aid for students and pursue their semester abroad outside of the Erasmus program countries can apply for Student Abroad Grant of Montanuniversitaet. The precondition for obtaining the financial aid is that within 8 weeks after the completion of the stay abroad, the minimum work load of ECTS has to be recognized at MUL. The minimum ECTS required amount to 3 ECTS / month of the stay at the host institution.

    Apart from this, it is recommended that students take a full semester workload (30 ECTS) abroad if they do not want to lose study time.
  • Can MIRO help with finding an internship abroad?
    No, MIRO does not do internship placements. We can recommend to look for internships via IAESTE Leoben (link!).
  • Is there a financial grant possible for my internship abroad?
    Yes, if the internship is undertaken in one of the Erasmus program countries, you can get the Erasmus mobility grant. In case you are doing an internship outside of these program countries you can apply for the Student Abroad Grant for internship
  • How do I apply for a study programme at Montanuniversität Leoben?
    Please see:  here
  • When are the deadlines for application?
    Degrees at Montanuniversität Leoben begin in the winter and summer semester. However, it is best to begin in the winter semester. The application for admission has to reach the university at least

    • by September 5 for the winter semester (date of receipt)
    • by February 5 for the summer semester (date of receipt)

    of each year complete with all required documents.
  • Do I need to proof German language skills for studying at Montanuniversität Leoben?
    For Bachelor's degrees and Master's degrees held in German applicants need to submit a German language proficiency at level A2 (according to CEFR) at the time of applying. Certificates may not be older than 2 years. For enrollment as a full-degree student you need to provide German skills at level B2.

    If your proficiency in German has not yet reached B2, then you can register at Montanuniversität as a non-degree student until you are able to document German language competence at the required level. Find more information here: University Preparation Programme Leoben

    For Bachelor's or Master's degree programmes completely held in English applicants need to submit an English language proficiency in form of an IELTS (minimum 6 points) or TOEFL ibt (minimum 80 points) or TOEFL pbt (minimum 550 points).
  • Do I need to pay a student union fee?
    EU/EEA nationals do not need to pay the tuition fee, as long as they complete their studies within the minimum duration of studies (plus extra semesters). If you cannot complete studies within this time, EU/EEA students have to pay the tuition fee in addition to the students' union fee (ÖH Beitrag). Non-EU/EEA nationals have to pay a tuition fee. Nationals of the poorest countries in the world do not have to pay the tuition fees but only the students' union fee (ÖH Beitrag).

    Click here for further information on tuition fees.