- Regular International Students
- Incoming Students Information
- Outgoing Students Information
- About MIRO
ERASMUS+ Student Mobility for Traineeship
Montanuniversität Leoben students can complete subject-related Erasmus placements with companies within Europe as part of the EU Lifelong Learning Programme.
Only companies/institutions operating in the public or private sectors, regardless of size, corporate form or field of business, may act as hosts for student placements. The following institutions/organisations are excluded from being hosts:
- European institutions
- Organisations that manage EU programmes
- Representation abroad of countries of origin (embassies, consulates, cultural institutions etc.)
It is up to the students themselves to find a suitable host!
Types of placement
There are two types of placement:
- Compulsory placement (the placement is a fixed part of the curriculum)
At least 3 ECTS points per month for the duration of the placement need to be credited as a minimum for the mobility grant. However, irrespective of this reclamation threshold, a placement should bring in 30 ECTS credits per semester.
- Placement as a useful supplement to studies
This voluntary placement will be recorded in the diploma supplement.
- Regular students at Montanuniversität Leoben may receive this kind of Erasmus-funding.
- Per study cycle (BSc / MSc / PhD) not more than a sum of 12 months of traineeship are funded by Erasmus.
- The placement must last for at least 2 whole months, up to a maximum of 12 months.
- It must be a full-time placement.
Recognition: Before the placement starts, an application for recognition of the placement must be signed by the university body responsible for recognition (e.g. the Chairman of the Curriculum Commission), recognizing that the placement is a compulsory one or a useful supplement to studies (voluntary placement).
The application process and all the required forms are explained in the document "00_E+Traineeship: Guidelines & Checklist" (see Download Portal).
For a successful application, you have to submit the following, completed documents at least one month before the beginning of your traineeship (to MIRO).
Students selected for an Erasmus placement will be nominated by the International Relations Office in the Erasmus online database. The students will then receive a nomination email with a registration request, which should be completed as soon as possible.
Students will then receive an official confirmation email from the OeAD Erasmus Department, asking them to print out and sign the online agreement (in triplicate) and send it to: Erasmus-Referat des OeAD, Franz-Josef-Straße 27, 8700 Leoben
You must do this BEFORE starting your placement.
The Erasmus mobility grant is worth between EUR 328 and EUR 435 per month depending on the host country (as of 2013/14). It is not intended to be a full grant, but rather a supplement to cover increased living costs in the host country.
It is up to the students themselves to find out more about any additional financing from the host institution. The mobility grant will be paid irrespective of any such additional financing.
After the placement
The following documents must be submitted to the OeAD Erasmus Department within 4 weeks of the end of the placement:
Confirmation of attendance: must be issued and signed by the host organization and cover the entire placement period required. This confirmation must be submitted to the OeAD Erasmus Department once the placement is over.
- Placement report in Erasmus-Online (students will receive a reminder email to record their placement report in the online database at the end of the month before the placement ends)
The following documents must be submitted to the International Relations Office within 2 months of the end of the placement:
03_ E+Traineeship: Antrag auf Anerkennung -
PART II (Recognition of work load completed)
- A copy of the transcript of work/ traineeship certificate issued by the company/ host organization (a sample of this can be collected at MIRO)
Changes to the training agreement
Any changes to the training agreement must be made within 1 month of the student's arrival at the host institution and must be signed by all participants.
An extension is in principle possible if the corresponding extension application is submitted to and approved by the International Relations Office at least four weeks before the end of the original contract period. The extension period must be no longer than the original recognised grant period (max. 12 months in total).
If you extend the placement, a new training agreement must be issued and signed.
IAESTE placement abroad
The main role of IAESTE Leoben is to give engineering students at Austrian universities the opportunity to do subject-related work experience abroad.
Contact: IAESTE Leoben, c/o ÖH Leoben, Franz-Josef-Straße 18, 8700 Leoben