- Regular International Students
- Incoming Students Information
- Outgoing Students Information
- About MIRO
ERASMUS+ Student Mobility for Studies
Within the framework of ERASMUS+ degree-seeking students at Montanuniversitaet Leoben are permitted to study abroad multiple times. Students are allowed to spend 12 months per study cycle (BSc, MSc, PhD) abroad within the framework of ERASMUS+ (Student Mobility for Studies or Placement). Students of Diploma Programs can make use of 24 months of scholarships in total. For previous stays within the ERASMUS LLP Program the maximum number of months will be counted.
Participation of Switzerland in ERASMUS+: The Swiss Authorities are currently in negotiations regarding a participation in ERASMUS+. The current status is that Switzerland will not be able to participate within the ERASMUS+ program. Switzerland may finance incoming mobility within the framework of the "Swiss Mobility Program".
Grant: 300 € to 350 €, depending on the host country (as of 2017/2018). Detailed Information can be found
ERASMUS+ Partner Institutions
- Registration as Degree-Seeking Student at Montanuniversität Leoben
- Students must have been enrolled for
at least 3 semesters in the field of study relevant for their ERASMUS+ student mobility, this means that students need to have completed one year of studies with a minimum of 60 ECTS-Credits until
May (relevant for exchange period starting in fall or
November (for exchange periods starting in spring) (not relevant for students enrolled in MSc programs as the BSc studies count as well).
do not accept students on the Bachelor (undergraduate) level. Please consult the website of the individual partner institutions for further information. Please note that the partner institutions’ information is subject to change as well. Detailed and up-to date Information regarding the application requirements, required language skills etc. can be found on the individual university websites (most of the time the links of the International Relations Office / Category Exchange Students)
- The completion of all courses from the first two semesters of the curriculum at Montanuniversität Leoben is a pre-requisite for spending a study period abroad. The recognition of courses within the MSc programs at Leoben is only possible after the completion of the 4
th semester of the field of study relevant for the stay abroad.
Duration: min. 3 until max. 12 months
Students may consume a maximum of 12 months of ERASMUS+ grants within each cycle od study (BSc, MSc, PhD).
Purpose: Full-time study, part of Master Thesis or Dissertation
Required Language Skills:
- Proof of good English skills and/or knowledge of the language spoken in the host country for EVERY chosen host institution must be provided.
- (Basic) knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese, French and Italian are required when choosing a host institution in these countries even though English might be the language of instruction.
- For partner institutions in Scandinavia and the BENELUX (partly), Eastern Europe, Greece and Turkey good command of English is usually sufficient (Attention: in many study programs courses in English are offered on the MSc Level only).
- There has to be an existing bilateral agreement between the home and host institution (see
- According to European Commission regulations, mobility in your country of origin is allowed (e.g. from South Tirol to Italy). Students whose place of residence is in a neighboring country and who are only coming to Austria for their studies (Grenzgänger/innen) are not eligible to apply for an ERASMUS+ grant.
Subsidies for Students with Special Needs
Students can apply for special EU subsidies for their study place abroad if they cannot cover the increased costs from other sources:
- Students with special needs (deaf, blind or physically disabled etc.)
- Students with children
Please contact the International Relations Office.
Application Deadline and Place
For the entire upcoming academic year (WS & SS): March 1 st
Additional deadline for left-over placements for the following summer semester: September 15 th
Please note that spots at our ERASMUS+ partner institutions for the whole academic year will be open for application until March 1 st. In late summer/ fall we will only re-open the remaining spots that have not yet been taken. This means that if you already know that you would like to study abroad in the summer semester of the upcoming academic year, we strongly encourage you to apply until the deadline on March 1 st.
Place of application:
MIRO – Montanuniversitaet International Relations Office
Peter-Tunner-Strasse 15, 8700 Leoben (Akademie 3. Stock)
+43 3842 402-7237
Be aware about MIRO’s office hours!
- Progress of Studies (Duration and GPA)
- Language Qualifications
- Selection of the Proposed Study Program
- Additional Qualifications e.g. Buddy for Incoming Exchange Students
- Overall Quality of the Application
ERASMUS+ Mobility Grant
Minimum study requirements for mobility grant:
3 ECTS credits per month or
6 semester hours (if staying for up to 5 months)
12 semester hours (if staying for between 6 and 10 months) or
18 semester hours (11–12 months)
Confirmation required from supervisor for degree/Masters theses/dissertations. Irrespective of this reclamation threshold for the mobility grant, you need to study courses worth at least 30 ECTS credits per semester. 30 ECTS credits equal one semester's study, so that a semester at a host institution equals the work you would have carried out during a semester at your home university. (You are expressly reminded that the home institution is required to recognise the courses you take according to the valid learning agreement!)
As the Erasmus study period abroad must be an integral part of the study programme at your home university and you must lose no study time as a result of the Erasmus trip, the courses defined in the learning agreement must equate to study at your home university and correspond to the associated "workload" that you would have had in the same length of study time at your home university ("no loss of progress" principle).
Courses that are not an integral part of the study programme at your home university can be included with the corresponding credits in the "transcript of records", but are not relevant for recognition of the Erasmus study abroad. They therefore do not count towards the minimum credit requirements. However, such supplementary studies should be included in the diploma supplement.)
Once students have been selected for the semester abroad, they will be nominated in the Erasmus-Online database.
You will then receive an email with a registration code for the Erasmus-Online database. You must use this registration code to log on to Erasmus-Online and fill out your details.
The study contract will then be prepared for you in the database, within 3 weeks of your scheduled Erasmus semester abroad at the earliest.
You can either:
- Sign the contract electronically in the database, or
- Print it out, sign it (in duplicate!!!) and send it by registered post to the OeAD Erasmus Department (FAO Lisa Genger, Franz-Josef-Straße 18, 8700 Leoben).
Student Grant Recipients
You can continue to receive your student grant throughout your Erasmus semester abroad.
If you receive a student grant, you will also need to apply promptly for additional financing for studying abroad.
The OeAD Erasmus Department will pay a top-up to student grant recipients who want financing for studying abroad (= equalisation payment if the overseas grant from the student grant authorities is lower than the Erasmus mobility grant).
For the relevant forms and more information, please contact Stipendienstelle Graz, Metahofgasse 30, 8020 Graz.
To-Dos During your Studies Abroad
If you have NOT returned the signed original learning agreement (= proposed study programme according to your ECTS/Erasmus application in MU-Online) before you travel abroad, please get your host institution to sign it and send it by email to the MIRO). If you cannot find your original learning agreement when at the host institution, we can send you a copy.
If your curriculum changes, you must notify us within one month of starting your studies. The required form ("Änderung des vorgeschlagenen Studienprogrammes / Changes to original proposed Study Programme / Learning Agreement") must be signed by the host institution and sent to the MIRO.
Advance recognition decision
When any changes (= different or additional scheduled examinations) are made in the learning agreement, they must also be changed in the advance recognition decision at the same time. If you have any questions about (advance) recognition and changes/additions to the advance recognition decision, please contact the person in your study department responsible for equivalence issues.
You may apply for an extension of the Erasmus study abroad to the MIRO - Montanuniversität International Relations Office under the following conditions:
- Reasons based on studies
- Only possible once a year
- The extension period for which financing is due must not be longer than the original recognised grant period (i.e. only Erasmus status will be recognised for further extension months)
- You must not exceed the total permitted stay duration of 12 months
- Extension applications must be submitted at least 4 weeks before the end of the original contract period.
Financing payments can only be made if the agreement for the extension period is signed electronically or printed out in duplicate and signed and received by the Leoben Erasmus Department.
Even if you apply on time, the National Agency can only guarantee the extension of your Erasmus status, as mobility grants for extensions depend on the availability of budget resources.
If you are extending your stay, a new learning agreement must be issued and signed (exception: if an extension is required only because an examination date has been moved, without any changes to the content of the learning agreement, there is no need to issue a new learning agreement). Go to Erasmus-Online to find the extension application form. Please send the completed, signed extension application form to the MIRO - Montanuniversität International Relations Office, along with the new, completed learning agreement signed by the host institution.
To-Dos After the End of Your Studies Abroad
Within 4 weeks of the official end of your studies abroad at the ERASMUS Referat Leoben (Lisa Genger) (please comply with the end date in the contract!):
- Hand in your Confirmation of Attendance
- Complete your Student Report in Erasmus-Online
Within 2 months of the official end of your studies abroad at MIRO – Montanuniversitaet International Relations Office (please comply with the end date in the contract!) or by 1 November that year if your studies abroad finish at the end of June or later:
- A copy of the "Application for recognition of equivalence for transcript of records" form
- A copy of the Transcript of Records
- A report about your experience (digital to outgoing(at)unileoben.ac.at)
Students who receive grants must contact the grants office with the documents required for Erasmus studies abroad.